The Scottish State Coach, to be on view from July 30th – August 28th in the forecourt of Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh.
The magnificent Scottish State Coach, will be displayed from July 30th – August 28th in the forecourt of Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh, to mark HM The Queen’s 90th birthday year.
The Coach which was originally called the Cambridge Coach, was built for HRH The Duke of Cambridge in 1830 and used for the coronation of his brother, William IV, the following year. In 1968 HM The Queen instructed that she wished to have a coach for Scotland.
The Cambridge coach was remodeled and renamed the Scottish State Coach.
The emblems of the Order of the Thistle, and the Scottish version of the Royal Arms were painted on the sides, and a model of the Crown of Scotland was added to the roof.
As writer and historian, Roddie Martine noted:
“This is Scotland’s very own carriage of state, sleek and impressive, cherished throught the years ….. though not ideally suited to the cobbled streets of the Old Town.”
The Queen first used the Scottish State Coach on 22 May 1969, . The coach has conveyed the Royal Family in the Jubilee Procession, and to the The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh back to Buckingham Palace after the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton in 2011